What should make me suspect a piece of mail? The United States
Postal Service advises if:
- Its unexpected or from someone you dont know.
- Its addressed to someone no longer at your address.
- Its handwritten and has no return address or bears one that you
cant confirm is legitimate.
- Its lopsided or lumpy in appearance.
- Its sealed with excessive amounts of tape.
- Its marked with restrictive endorsements such as Personal or
- It has excessive postage.
- What should I do with a suspicious piece of mail?
- Dont handle a letter or package that you suspect is contaminated.
- Dont shake it, bump it, or sniff it.
- Put the mail piece in a plastic bag.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Notify local law enforcement authorities.